How to adopt a slide:
- Visit the Visual Resources Centre in Room G22 on the ground floor of the Grosvenor Building at All Saints. It’s open from 9.30am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.
- Browse the collection and pick a slide that means something to you.
- Photograph it.
- Write something about it – doesn’t have to be much, just the reasons for your choice.
- Email it to the Adopt a Slide blog. It will go live immediately, so please follow the email instructions below.
How to email your slide:
- In the email heading, enter your name, followed by a colon, and the slide reference number. Eg. Mary Smith: ZC.17.06
- Attach your image as a jpeg.
- Write your response in the body of the email. Please put your name and who you are at the bottom (see other posts here for an example).
- Delete any other text that you don’t want to appear (such as email signature).
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Now share your adoptive slide as widely as you can – on social media (#adoptaslide), your own blog, word of mouth etc.
If you aren’t able to visit the library in person but want to adopt a slide, you can view a small selection from the library on the VRC flickr page or follow the VRC on twitter. You can also send us a statement of support. Here’s one we received earlier:
“I no longer live in Manchester but I strongly support calls to preserve Manchester School of Art’s Visual Resources Centre as a physical thing. An image is not just an image but is embodied in the medium in which it was created or exists. Of all places, an art school should understand this.”
Thankyou. All adopted slides will be incorporated into a physical artwork/exhibition/publication in the autumn.